· Welcomed new Friends’ Board Member Kathy Sandberg.
· The Friends Breakfast will be held on January 28, 2018 at the Knights of Columbus Hall.
· The Friends are interested in creating a more inviting public space. A patio committee is in
preliminary stages regarding a broad vision and update for the patio area.
· Voted to support Alan Page author program to be held on January 20, 2018.
· Voted to provide transportation for Head Start classes to visit the library monthly.
· Voted to support Hot Reads for Cold Nights adult reading program.
Friends Organic Learning Garden
In 2016, The Friends spearheaded a new opportunity for our community, The Friends Organic Learning Garden.
The Friends Garden is a place for folks to gather and learn how to:
The Friends of Buckham Memorial Library purchased all of the tools, equipment and fencing for the garden. They also purchased the stone and masonry materials for the lovely planter surrounding the garden that was constructed by the City of Faribault Parks Department. Many people have enjoyed the beautiful produce that the garden provided this season. We are looking forward to launching the heirloom seed library in 2017 from the seeds saved from this years’ Friends Garden.
On June 18, 2016, “Inspire!” A carving by Ivan Whillock honoring the lives and work of Faye and Dena Allen was dedicated by the Friends as part of the Heritage Days Celebration. The Friends commissioned this piece of fine art with a generous gift received from the estate of Faye and Dena Allen.
Dot and Dash Coding Robots
The Friends are always excited to provide new technology and innovative programs. With a gift from the Congregational Church of Faribault, UCC, the Friends purchased two sets of Dash and Dot robots. The Library will use Dash and Dot to teach children about computer coding.
For more than a decade, the Friends have provided a book bag filled with literacy information and baby’s first book for each child born at District One Hospital.
Summer Reading Program
To help prevent the “summer reading slide”, the Friends support the Summer Reading Program for young people. 1,136 kids benefited from the 2016 Summer Reading Program “On Your Mark, Get Set…Read!”