Fun Features
Which limestone locations were special to Faribault residents?

THE QUARRIES

 

Quarries near Faribault were located near the Straight River, where the flow of water exposed layers of desirable rock. Fathers, sons, brothers and in-laws established a tangled web of quarry ownerships and roles. The first quarries opened in the mid- 1850s.

This undated, hand-drawn map by Clem Kaul shows quarry locations and ownerships, sometime after 1902.

 

THE ARCHWAY


Whitney Memorial Arch artistically frames Shumway Hall at Shattuck School. Shattuck was originally a grammar school as part of the Episcopal Seabury Divinity Seminary. It later offered secondary-level military education for boys, and finally merged with St. Mary’s to become a private co-educational preparatory school. The arch was constructed in 1926 of limestone salvaged from two other early campus buildings, the old Shattuck and Whipple Halls.

Image courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society.

 

   

Downtown District | Homes & Neighborhoods | Civic & School Life | Limestone Building Traditions

Home | Heritage Preservation | Kids Page | Timeline | Faribault Tourism | Index/Search | About this Site
©2002 City of Faribault, Minnesota | Faribault HPC